Ballast and sleepers from the line were used in the conversion of the Oberammergau line to the standard German electrical system in 1954.
The Murnau–Hechendorf section is still operated as two lines.
On 18 December 1935 the upgraded section was put back into service, although this required large structures such as a six-metre-high bridge over Highway 2 and the reconstruction of the bridge where the Oberammergau line crosses the line in Murnau.
The upgrading of the line in 1935 increased the line speed between Tutzing and Murnau from 80 to 110 km/h and between Murnau and Garmisch-Partenkirchen from 55 to 80 km/h.In the early 1980s the Diemendorf, Wilzhofen, Polling, Hechendorf and Farchant stations had low patronage and in June 1984 they were closed together with the Planegg and Gauting stations, which, however, continued to be served by the Munich S-Bahn.At the turn of the 20th century plans to build a railway line between Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Innsbruck were advanced and on 22 November 1904 a treaty was signed by Bavaria and Austria. On 16 February electrical services continued to Starnberg and on the night of 19/20 February 1925 the first electric train made a test run to Munich Hauptbahnhof.On the Bavarian side construction and operations would be performed by the K. On 21 February the first electrically hauled train–an express–ran to Munich from Garmisch and after 23 February all passenger trains on the route operated electrically.The line had to be upgraded for the 1936 Winter Olympics to be held in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Since the Murnau–Garmisch section was built as a local railway, it needed to be upgraded in a short period of time.The Munich–Garmisch-Partenkirchen railway is a single track, electrified main line railway in the southern part of the German state of Bavaria.It runs from Munich via Starnberg and Murnau to Garmisch-Partenkirchen.The upgrade would need to be completed by the beginning of winter 1935 in order to be ready for the 1936 Winter Olympics.In addition to the second track, the original track has been improved, curves had to be widened and the stations at Huglfing, Uffing, Murnau and Hechendorf had to be upgraded considerably.The business community of Murnau and the surrounding communities raised enough capital to bring the proposal before the Bavarian parliament in the autumn of 1875 and it was approved on 10 July 1876. In 1898 the line was upgraded to allow a maximum speed of 30 km/h. B.'s purchase of the LAG’s infrastructure on 1 January 1908 for 3.5 million gold marks and the subsequent upgrade of the line.