In the Middle Ages, royal trading privileges, a natural harbour and a thriving herring fishing industry contributed to the town's growth.Despite the difficulties it experienced over the centuries, the city began to prosper once again towards the end of the 19th century when a bridge was built over Limfjord and the railway arrived.The town prospered, becoming one of the largest communities in Denmark.
Other sports associations include the icehockey club Aalborg Pirates, the mens handball team Aalborg Håndbold, the rugby club Aalborg RK, and Aalborg Cricket Club. Kennedys Plads has connected the city to Randers and the south since 1869.
Aalborg Airport is just 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) northwest of the city centre, and the E45, a European route from Karesuando, Sweden, to Gela, Italy, passes through Aalborg.
The University College of Northern Denmark is one of seven new regional organisations while the Royal School of Library and Information Science (RSLIS) provides higher education in library and information science.
Trænregimentet, the Danish regiment for army supply and emergency medical personnel, is also in Aalborg.
Aalborg's earliest trading privileges date from 1342, when King Valdemar IV received the town as part of his huge dowry on marrying Helvig of Schleswig.
The privileges were extended by Eric of Pomerania in 1430 and by Christopher of Bavaria in 1441.These large settlements, one from the 6th-century Germanic Iron Age, the other from the Viking Age in the 9th to 11th centuries, evolved at the narrowest point on Limfjord as a result of the traffic between Himmerland to the south and Vendsyssel to the north.The first mention of Aalborg under its original name Alabu or Alabur is found on coins from c.Aalborg University Hospital, the largest in the north of Jutland, was founded in 1881.The football club Aalborg BK, established in 1885 and based at Nordjyske Arena, won the Danish Superliga in the 1994–95 season, the 1998–99 season, the 2007–08 season and the 2013–14 season.It was originally settled as a trading post because of its position on the Limfjord.