With a population of 22,745 (2009), the town is diverse.
It is a quaint medieval place, and, among its ancient buildings, boasts a fine Evangelical church (German: Stiftskirche) containing carvings in cedar-wood from the 15th century and numerous interesting tombs and monuments; a Renaissance town hall; the building, now used as a library, which formerly belonged to a monastery, erected in 1034; and a palace, the former residence of the princes of Hohenlohe-Öhringen. Eastwards of it runs the old Limes Roman frontier wall, and numerous remains and inscriptions dating from the days of the Roman settlement have been discovered, including traces of three camps.
Flein has combined with Talheim to form a joint association of administrations.
The archive direction suggested a blazon containing an arms In a split sign in blue a head of a lion, behind in gold a blue grape with two vine leaves.
However, in June 1939 the NSDAP stated that it was of minor importance and not to hurry the change.
Since there was no absolute majority after the first election a run off was necessary. Alexander Krüger was elected as mayor for an eight-year term with 63.9% of the votes. The theme of the municipal coat of arms is the martyrdom of Saint Vitus, derived from a picture in the town's St. The arms depict a golden cauldron on red flames with a blue background, inside which is the bare, praying Saint Vitus. The colours of the arms were laid down in 1938 by the archive direction of Württemberg.
In the same year the Nazi NSDAP party Heilbronn suggested to accept another arms without a religious meaning.
Like most of Germany, Flein suffered great damage during the Thirty Years' War. The enormous increase of population after World War II is due to the settlement of many refugees and creation of building land a few years later.
In the 1970s the population of Flein voted against an incorporation to Heilbronn and for combining a joint association of administrations with Talheim.Öhringen is located in the western, deeper part of the Hohenlohe plain, between the Keuper stage of the Swabian-Franconian Forest and the Kocher valley.The town spreads out over the flat valley of Ohrn, a small river, which flows about 10 kilometres (6 mi) down the valley in the district Ohrnberg into the Kocher river.The Öhringen area drains to the Kocher river, which runs between Ohrnberg and Sindringen, about 3 kilometres (2 miles) upstream from Ohrnberg mountain.The river leaves the region 6 km (4 miles) west of the district Möglingen.In the same year local artist Hans Epple created a drawing used by the municipality today (see illustration).