The wall is set back about 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in), which made the later addition of an advanced corner tower on the north-east side necessary in order to prevent potential enemies from advancing onto this ledge.
Because of its position atop a steep cliff above the Saale, the western side of the castle was the hardest to attack.
It is protected only by the circular wall and the great hall is also located on this side.
The oldest reports in all of Europe are from Italy (Florence 1326, Cividale 1331) and from the French fleet (1338-1346).
The citizens of Naumburg burnt the Rudelsburg down during their siege, and there were deaths and injuries on both sides.
In the early 19th century the Rudelsburg became a popular tourist destination thanks to the romanticisation of mountains and the rise of hiking as a pastime.
It was considered one of the most beautiful of the castles on the river Saale and exceeded mere regional fame from 1855 onwards as the annual meeting place of the Kösener Senioren-Convents-Verband, the oldest union of student fraternities with delegates from all German-speaking countries.
The central ward, which was separated from the ward keep by a deep encircling ditch, has a bergfried that is approximately 20 metres (66 ft) high, a transverse rectangular great hall, several living quarters, and is surrounded by a circular wall. The Romanesque bergfried is almost exactly square (7.6 m × 8.2 m or 24.9 ft × 26.9 ft) and is topped with a pyramid-shaped tower roof made of stone, which gives the castle its characteristic appearance. The outer palisades in the east were constructed in the 13th century, the other palisades and the circular corner towers were constructed in the 15th century.
The Rudelsburg palisade, which is located between the central and outer keeps, was obviously envisaged during the construction of the castle and is seen as proof that the idea of palisades did not first arrive in Europe as a result of the Crusades.
The castle ruin Rudelsburg lies on the east bank of the river Saale atop a rocky shell limestone ridge, approximately 85 metres (279 ft) above the river and above Saaleck, a suburb of the town of Bad Kösen in the Burgenlandkreis district in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany.
The Rudelsburg was built in the Middle Ages by the Bishop of Naumburg and served to secure trade routes such as the Via Regia through the Saale Valley.
The Rudelsburg was a point of conflict between the bishops of Naumburg and the Margraves of Meissen belonging to the House of Wettin.